Monday, April 18, 2011

Crank it to Eleven!

Since it is Marathon Monday, I figured today would be a good time to do a Dozen Dash check-in. I'm right in the middle, heading for the famous hills, staring down Heartbreak. (In my case, Heartbreak Hill looks like a 991-page epic fantasy and 562 pages of Literature.) There's been a few changes in the line-up, and I'm still scrambling for reviews, but I think I'll make it out OK.

As you can see, I've subbed out two books and added another. (The BPL's hold/renewal system works in mysterious ways.) I guess I can't really call it "The Dozen Dash" anymore, so here's to "Crank it to Eleven!"

1. Let’s Take the Long Way Home by Gail Caldwell (Review here!)
2. Scumble by Ingrid Law
3. Ascendant by Diana Peterfreund (Review here!)
4. Room by Emma Donoghue (Review here!)
5. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (Review here!)
6. The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell (Review here!)
7. The Wise Man’s Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (Review here!)
8. Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
9. The Tiger’s Wife by Téa Obreht (Review here!)
10. A Widow’s Story by Joyce Carol Oates
11. Across the Universe by Beth Revis (Review here!)

It's time to buckle down and do some serious legwork. All encouragement greatly appreciated!

10 comments:

  1. Haha, crank it up to 11. ^_^ That sounds like a Spinal Tap reference to me. lol

    If you want encouragement, then I pat you on the back for saving Across the Universe for last. It is really the best! (Just my opinion. Anyway, it's the only book I read out of this list. =P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it! And just think: you have a list of 11 things that you really WANT to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was indeed a Spinal Tap reference. :) So excited to read AtU!

    RIGHT? Sooooo stoked. I'm 300 pages into The Wise Man's Fear right now...Way past blown away. It's hard to put down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm going to join you for a library book marathon. I have some pretty big book commitments coming up in May and June, but I have SO MANY good books checked out from the library (one of them is Name of the Wind, which I am so excited about!). I look to you for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, do it! Patrick Rothfuss is my current fantasy husband.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished Robin McKinley's Rose Daughter, which I couldn't be more in love with, and I think the Beast is my fantasy husband right now, so you can keep Patrick Rothfuss. I reserve the right to change my mind, however. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ms. McKinley and I go way back. I too had my crush on the Beast. :) Have you read BEAUTY too?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read Beauty in December. Thanks to the prompting of Angie (she of the infallible book taste at Angieville), I finally picked up Rose Daughter. And I loved it so much. I loved it in a way I haven't loved many books. We're talking take-it-to-a-desert-island love. I sense a huge McKinley book-buying splurge will happen in the very near future.

    Any of hers that you would particularly recommend? I've only read Beauty and Rose Daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angie's great, and I adore her blog. We have similar taste, but she surprises me every so often. :)

    YES. Get thee to THE BLUE SWORD. Then, follow it with THE HERO AND THE CROWN. They are my desert-island-level-love books.

    ReplyDelete