Friday, May 27, 2011

My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me

Slowly working my way through this anthology of reworked fairy tales. (What a delicious title: My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me) It’s actually perfect for right now, as I’m crazy busy with CPC homework and moving. I can just pick it up before bed, read a few tales, and put it back on the shelf. No urgency, no guilt.

I’m probably not going to be able to review this in my usual manner, but I have to say this. Gregory Maguire (of Wicked and other reworked fairytale fame) wrote one of the most enchanting and vital forewords I have ever read. (He’s giving On Writing a run for its money, and it has three!) Seriously, it’s worth picking up this book just to read his ode to the magic of childhood and the wonder of “Once upon a time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment