Monday, January 3, 2011

The List, 2011-Style

Remember that annual Top 10 anxiety? I totally wasn’t kidding. My manageable little list of 30 has doubled within the past few days. I went from babysitting one well-behaved list to barely surviving two evil twin lists. I bet when I turn my back, they’ll both giggle maniacally and run off to clog the toilet.

The Breakdown (which hopefully won't lead to me breaking down):

---I have a series of hold requests totaling around 25. A good chunk of these books are the “must-reads” of the adult world. I’m lucky that kids read faster than grown-ups, because if I had to wait like this for every book on my list, I’d probably already have children. (I’m at 357 for Freedom and 176 for Room: A Novel.)

---My 39-book “backlist” is an assortment of catch-up YA, some adult fiction, some writing how-tos, and a few select genre books. This will be added to in the coming year, as I have my eye on 10 or so titles coming down the publishing pipeline.

---I have 7 books out currently, 3 of which are going back today. These will be exchanged for 7 more. Then, I’m hopefully taking a breather and watching things tick down.

With these numbers, there’s no book resolution I can wrap my brain around at this time. It’s going to be a mad free-for-all, which is kind of how I like it. (Doable resolution: Write my reviews closer to when I actually finish the books. My current schedule should put me at “current” by the end of the week.) Wish me luck?

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, Amy! I used to have trouble with that too, reviewing a book soon after I read it. Especially when the book wasn't that great...

    Guess what? I'm almost finished with The Book Thief! ^_^ I love it!!! You'll see a review for it very soon, I expect.

    My book-related resolution is to read and review at least 10 books that I can say are the awesome-est things I've ever read. The Book Thief is one of them! So thank you SO much for your recommendation. ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :) I actually think I'll be OK writing "bad" reviews...I'm excited about one I have coming up.

    Oh, I'm so glad you like it! I couldn't put it down for any length of time.

    I think that's an excellent resolution. I'm just realizing now that there are books I left off my list. "In the Name of the Wind" was the biggest oversight. Luckily, the sequel's coming out in March and I'll have some space to do them both justice.

    ReplyDelete